Document Signing is a stage type you can add to your hiring workflow for applicants to sign documents such as agreements, contracts, W9 tax forms, etc. You can insert merge keys to pre-fill the form with the applicant's unique data that will
Our document signing is completely secure and compliant with all major eSignature laws, including ESIGN, UETA, European Union eIDAS (EU No.910/2014). Additionally, all access is over HTTPS and all documents are encrypted at rest. A secure Audit Trail is also provided that includes access times and IP addresses.
For pricing information, go to your Company Settings by clicking on your profile name on the top right, and select Document Signing under the Add-Ons section.
Create Document Signing Templates
Before you can use a document in the workflow, you'll need to set up the document as a template by uploading the document file(s) and adding form fields and signature areas.
If you have a few documents for applicants to sign, we recommend setting them up as separate templates instead of combining multiple documents into one long document. Applicants get overwhelmed by long documents which can cause higher drop-off. Splitting up your documents and asking for them separately also allows the applicant to still complete some of your paperwork even if they don't have the information handy to finish the others right away.
- Navigate to your Company Settings.
- Click on Document Signing in the menu on the left.
- Click on the Templates tab and then click the Create Template blue button.
- Upload your document into the file box by dragging and dropping or by clicking on the box.
You can upload multiple files of different file types (PDF, JPEG, PNG, Docx) and Fountain will combine them all into one long document that the applicant will see and fill out. Images of different dimensions and sizes may be compressed or stretched to fit standard letter size, so please preview and try to use the 8.5x11 dimensions.
- By default, the applicant is always required to sign the document. If additional internal signers are needed, click + Add Role and give the role a name e.g. Manager. You'll be able to assign an internal user to this role later in the stage setup.
- If there is information you would like to automatically populate into the template, add them in the section under Merge Keys. You can add any custom merge key that is available to you, as well as any standard key to a document signing template! This includes things like Applicant Name, Address, Phone Number, Date Of Birth, and answers to questions you've asked in your Application form or Data Collection stages. Be sure to add all relevant merge keys now, as you will not be able to add more to your template later.
- Give the Template a Title and a message to the applicant.
- Click Prepare Template, and a new window of your document will appear where you'll be adding fields to make it a template.
- Click on the form field type you want to add on the top, and then click on the document where you the field to be placed. You can also drag and drop the fields into your document. To resize the field box, drag on the lower right corner.
Form Field Settings
You can choose who completes each form field. After you have added a field to your document, you can click on the drop-down under Who fills this out? and select one of the following:
This setting allows you to add permanent text, check a box, or add a date to your template that no other signer can change later. This is great for pre-checking boxes that you know everyone will need to check or fixing some wording on a contract.This allows you to use the merge keys to pre-fill textboxes and will auto-populate with the information of that specific applicant e.g. name, email, phone number and/or Opening information like opening pay rate and location. Any fields you have selected in step 6, will now be an option for you to merge into this field.The applicant will have to fill out these fields. You can make it required by checking the box. Add a validation type to limit what information can be entered to ensure higher accuracy e.g. "Letters only" for their name, or "Zip code" where they must enter a 5 digit number.
These signatures will be signed by someone in your internal team on Fountain.
- Press Continue and your template will be created!
Document Signing Stage Settings
Document Signing Configurations
In the Document Signing Stage, add in the template(s) you want the applicant to fill out/sign.
Document Version Choice
If you have a few versions of the same document for the applicant to choose from, add all the templates and leverage the advance logic that says "complete ANY template". Make sure you indicate in the stage instructions to complete only one of the forms in the Applicant Portal.
If your template has a second signer role, select the internal user for the role. Only one user can be assigned to a role.
When a new applicant completes this Document Signing stage, a new button will appear on the Applicant Table so your team will know when a document needs to be signed by the internal team member. Click on the X signatures needed blue button and you'll be able to see the status of all the documents that need a co-signature and the applicant's signature status. Only the internal user assigned to the role be able to sign the document.
Other Stage Settings
For more information about other stage settings that is common to all stage types, like adding Follow Up Messages and Applicant Portal, please go to the Build the Workflow section.