Fountain allows you to create your own Fountain-hosted forms for each position (which don’t need sorting conditions), but sometimes, you want some more customization. Typeform is a beautiful way to collect applicants for your positions. For all Typeform integrations (not just Fountain), it requires a Zapier account.
Setting Up Typeform as an Application Form
- Log into your Typeform account and finish building your Typeform. There are a few strict requirements of the form, however. Name, email, and phone number must be collected in the following ways:
- Name must be a short text entry field and must be called “Name” OR "First Name" and "Last Name" (full name, your name, etc. will not work).
- Email must be an email entry field and must be called “Email” (email address, what is your email, etc will not work).
- Phone number must be a number entry field and must be called “Phone Number” (phone, mobile phone, etc will not work).
- Submit a test entry.
- Create a Zapier account here, and then go to this page to access the Fountain Zapier integration.
- Link your Typeform as the Trigger and then your Fountain account as the Action.
- In the 'Edit Template' step, you'll need to add all of your Typeform questions under the 'Data (optional)' section.
- Enter how you want the questions to be displayed in Fountain in the fields on the left, and then select your Typeform questions in the fields on the right.
- Test, finish, and then turn on your Zap!
Your Typeform entries will be placed into Fountain and will need to be sorted into the correct Position IF you do not specify a specific position in your Zap.
In order to sort them into the correct position, read the Sorting Conditions section of Creating Your First Position.
If applicants do not meet any of the sorting criteria, they will land in the first Position by default.
***Also, please note that because Zapier doesn't provide us with form field ordering, all Typeform entries (or responses) will be displayed in applicants' profiles in a random order.
Setting Up Typeform as a Data Collection Form
- Log into your Typeform account and finish building your Typeform.
- Add a hidden field to your Typeform; call it "applicant."
- Submit a test entry.
- Create a Zapier account here.
- Once logged in, click "MAKE A ZAP!" at the top of the page.
- Link your Typeform as the Trigger.
- Select 'New Entry.'
- Log in to your Typeform account; you will need to copy your Typeform API key from your Typeform account settings and paste it into Zapier.
- Select your Typeform.
- Test the step.
- Link Webhooks by Zapier as the Action.
- Select the 'PUT' action.
- In the 'Edit Template' section:
- Enter "https://www.fountain.com/api/v2/applicants/" into the URL field, then click the "+" to the right and add on the 'Hidden Applicant' field from the dropdown. It should look like this:
***Prior to setting up the 'Hidden Applicant' field above, first submit this page with a test applicant ID who's submitted the Typeform using a link from Fountain (found in Fountain --> Applicants --> Actions --> Edit Applicant), like so:
- Select Json for "Payload Type"
- Enter in whatever fields from Typeform you'd like sent to Fountain under 'Data,' using the following format:
- First field: data__[this_is_a_question]
- Second field: select the corresponding question from your Typeform
- In the box labeled "Wrap Request in Array" - put no
- In the box labeled "unflatten" put yes
- Copy the Private API key from your Fountain account (Company Settings -> API -> Show API Key) and enter under 'Headers,' like so:
- Go to the Opening and stage that is connected to the Typeform.
- Grab the Typeform URL from your Typeform account (should look like https://companyname.typeform.com/to/abcdefg?applicant=xxxxx); remove the "xxxxxx" from the end of the URL and replace it with [APPLICANT_ID]
- Link to this URL (e.g. https://companyname.typeform.com/to/abcdefg?applicant=[APPLICANT_ID]) in the body of your email so applicants are directed to the Typeform.