Checkr is one of the background check providers available in the background check stage in Fountain. Checkr offers a wide range of checks, including criminal background checks and Motor Vehicle Reports (MVR). By setting up this integration, you'll be able to use the Background Check with Checkr (USA) Stage.
Checkr Account Needed
Checkr only services the United States and you must have a Checkr account. Please consult your Customer Success Manager or email firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about Checkr and obtaining a Checkr account.
- Checkr Account Setup
- Background Check Stage
- Set up Package Type
- Collect Consent
- Stage Action
- Accepted Screen Types via Checkr
- Unsupported Screen Types
- Notifications (Optional)
Package Types Supported
- Criminal Checks with Motor Vehicle Reports (MVR) Combo
- Criminal Check Stand Alone
- Motor Vehicle Reports (MVR) Stand Alone
After you have created your Checkr account, email your point of contact at Checkr and copy email@example.com in the email. Ensure your email contains the following information:
- We’re integrating with Fountain.
- I need production access to Checkr's API for my account.
- Which report(s) is my account authorized to run?
Next we will focus on inputting our API key into Checkr to integrate with Fountain.
- Log into your Checkr account.
- Select Settings, then select Developer Settings.
- Add the following URLs as webhooks:
- For multi-tenant environment (most common) - https://callbacks.fountain.com/integrations/checkr
- For single-tenant environment - https://<customer-slug>.fountain.com/callbacks/integrations/checkr
- Add a Live Private API key and copy it for the Fountain integration.
- Log into your Fountain account.
- Hover over your name at the top right of the page and select Integrations.
- Click Screening on the left.
- Paste the Live Private API key to connect to Checkr from your Checkr account into the following field:
You can now add Checkr background check stages to your workflow and select which reports you'd like to run on applicants. Learn more about the background check labels here.
Background Check Stage
Background Check with Checkr Stage (USA) is a stage that integrates with Checkr to enable the ability to run background checks and/or MVR reports in the workflow. This stage is very versatile allowing you to split the actions required for running a check (collecting consent then running a check) or performing both actions simultaneously.
Set up Package Type
Pick the Report Package type you want to run on the applicant. You can consider running a MVR first, and wait for the result of that report before running another package. To do so, add two Background Checks with Checkr Stage (USA), one for MVR and an additional one for a criminal check.
**Report Package types may vary from account to account, consult Checkr about your company-specific packages. xxxxx
In order to run any checks with Checkr, you'll need the applicant to sign a consent to allow your company to run a check.
You can collect this consent when running the report, or you can collect the consent first and run the background check later. If you choose to run the background check later, be sure to add another Background Check with Checkr Stage (USA) later in the workflow and adjust the settings to run the check then.
Select an action for this stage. You can choose to run the report immediately and keep the applicant in the stage until the report results return; it may take a few days depending on the package type. Or, you can advance the applicant forward and run the report later.
If you choose to skip or delay running the report now, be sure to add another Checkr (USA) Background Check Stage later in the workflow, and run the report in this stage.
We recommend choosing the option to Run report & advance upon final status: Clear, Consider (Engaged), Consider (Post Adverse Action) if you plan to use the Rule Stage to automatically sort your applicants based on their report status.
Accepted Screen Types via Checkr
Some screen types are only supported via Checkr-hosted applicant consent flow. If a package contains one of the below screen types, a Note will appear beside the screen type and package. It can be viewed by selecting Company Settings > Integrations > Screening > Checkr > Manage Integration.
Shown below is an example of a package with screen types supported only via the Checkr-hosted flow:
Screen types supported only via Checkr-hosted applicant consent flow:
- Drug Screenings
- Occupational Health Screenings
- Personal Reference Checks
- Professional Reference Checks
- Credit Reports
- Professional License Verification
Reach out to your CSM or firstname.lastname@example.org to enable Checkr-hosted applicant consent flow feature on your account. If enabled all applicants will use Checkr-hosted workflow.
Also note that the Checkr-hosted applicant consent flow does not function if you are using the Checkr Account Hierarchy feature in your Checkr account. You can contact your Checkr account manager to have the Account Hierarchy feature disabled in order to utilize the Checkr-hosted applicant consent flow.
Unsupported Screen Types
Some screen types are not supported by Fountain. If a package contains one of the below screen types, a Warning will appear beside the screen type and package. It can be viewed by going to Company Settings > Integrations > Screening > Checkr > Manage Integration.
An example package with unsupported screen type:
Screen types Fountain currently does not support:
- International Criminal Search
- International Education Verification
- International Employment Verification
- International Global Watchlist Search
Depending on your workflow setup, you may want to notify either the applicant or the Opening owner on the status of the report. If you choose to collect the consent first and run the background check later, we recommend notifying the applicant so they are aware that their report has begun.