Fountain CSV imports enable you to import applicants from your stored applicant data directly into Fountain.
You can view our sample CSV to ensure that your columns are named correctly. The sample file contains all of the required fields which you can use when building your CSV import file. Your actual import file should contain, at a minimum, fields such as name, email and phone number.
Before you begin the import process, double check a few elements about your CSV:
- Your file is a CSV, not an Excel (.xlsx) or Numbers (.numbers) file. Both applications allow for export to CSV by going to File --> Export.
- Your CSV, at minimum, has filled columns for 'Name' (or 'First Name' and 'Last Name'), 'Email' and 'Phone Number.'
- You are importing into a single position. If your CSV will feed into multiple positions, you will need to split the CSV into multiple files for each position. Filters will NOT work for CSV imports. If you'd like to import existing workers into Fountain, please import them into the Approved stage.
Compatibility with Special Characters
If your import contains special characters like á or ē, it is best to save a CSV that is encoded in UTF-8 in order to preserve all the special characters. Please refer to this reference document on how to save a CSV file in UTF-8.
- On the Applicant Table, click on Settings towards the top right of the page, then select Import Applicants via CSV.
- You can view our sample CSV to ensure that your columns are named correctly.
- Upload your file, select the stage you'd like the file to land in and whether to perform additional actions for imported applicants (when applicable per stage). Then click Submit. Depending on the size of your file, it may take some time for your data to import into Fountain.
- After a few minutes, refresh your browser and you should see all your applicants in the selected stage. If you want to move them to a later stage, select them and move them to any future stage.
Prevent Excel from Incorrectly Altering your Data
When performing CSV imports in the product, Excel, Google Sheets, or other software programs may automatically convert the data provided to dates and/or numbers. This can potentially cause numbers that begin with 0 to be updated. For example, if a routing number is listed as 000234123, Excel may translate that number as 234123.
If there are values in your CSV that fit this criteria and may not be translated correctly, visit this resource for steps on preventing Excel from automatically altering your data.
- You should receive an email containing the number of successful imports, failed imports, and duplicate imports once the import has been completed.
If there is a duplicate applicant that already exists in the Opening that you are importing the CSV into, the duplicate applicant in the CSV will not be imported. If the duplicate applicant lives in a different Opening, the duplicate applicant in the CSV WILL be imported.
- Check the stage in Fountain to confirm that the numbers are correct.