So you have data in OnboardIQ, but you want to retrieve that data during the hiring process? Maybe you want to include third-party action in your workflow, or build a custom Zapier integration? OnboardIQ makes this easy using webhooks.
What are webhooks?
Webhooks will activate when an applicant lands in a set stage or when his/her background check result is returned, sending all of the applicant's data in JSON form (except for secure documents and fields) to whatever URL you specify; this is called a payload URL. A payload URL would usually look something like: https://www.yourdomain.com/process_onboardiq_webhook.
For a sample webhook object, see our API documentation here: https://onboardiq.readme.io/docs/webhooks
Setting Up a Webhook
To set up a webhook in OnboardIQ, follow the steps below:
- Find your name in the top right hand corner of the screen and navigate to Company Settings.
- Click on 'Webhooks' on the left hand side.
- Click the blue "Add Webhook" button; a window will pop up:
- Webhook Name - give your new webhook a name.
- Payload URL - this is the URL to which data will be sent.
- Trigger - this can be either a Stage Transition or Checkr status.
- If you select Stage Transition, then you'll be able to specify which stage(s) you'd like for the webhook to fire in.
- If you select Checkr status, then you'll be able to specify whether you'd like the webhook to fire when the check comes back as cleared or consider.
- Click save, and you're done!
When applicants land in the stage you selected or their Checkr background checks return as Cleared or Consider, the URL you specified will receive that applicant's data. You can view the Webhook Logs to check the status of any webhook:
A 200 status means that the webhook was successfully fired, while a 404 status means it was not. In the case of a 404 error, you have the option to resend (or re-fire) the webhook.
NOTE: Cloning a position will also clone any associated webhooks.
Using Zapier to Power Your Data
If you don't have a URL which is equipped to handle applicant data, don't worry! Using your Zapier account, you can accomplish all sorts of custom actions, from notifying a Slack channel, to sending a third party an email, to any number of of app actions available through Zapier.
To set up a Zap using OnboardIQ webhooks, follow these steps:
- Create a new Zap and set 'Webhooks' as your Trigger app:
- Select “Catch Hook” as your trigger:
- Copy the hook URL – this is what you'll paste into OnboardIQ (see above for detail on doing this):
- (OPTIONAL) specify which portion of the data payload you want to process:
- Test the hook by moving a test applicant into the connected stage – this allows Zapier to interpret the applicant data so you can set the Zap's Action.
Now, select an app you'd like to connect! Choose from hundreds of apps in Zapier, using fields from your applicant data to populate the action to your heart's content!
That's all there is to it! Whether you want a seamless internal integration with your software, or if you just want to fire off a couple extra emails, webhooks can get you there. The combination of our webhooks and Zapier's apps opens up endless possibilities for data processing, notifications, and more!