Fountain Signature stages allow you to collect a signature from your applicants and email them a custom PDF with their signature and other custom data inserted into the document.
Using the Signature stage
To begin, insert a Signature stage into your workflow:
If you do not have access to the Signature stage, reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org to get access.
The most important stage customization setting is the Document Language. This specifies the text that the applicant will agree to with their signature.
The Fountain Signature stage optionally allows you to send a signed PDF to the applicant. The text of the PDF should exactly match the text in the Document Language setting.
Here are some important things to know about the PDF:
- If you insert the text [APPLICANT_SIGNATURE] into the PDF, it will be replaced by the applicant’s signature after they have signed.
- The file must be less than 15 megabytes
We also allow you to send the PDF to the applicant via email before they have signed, so that they can review the document:
Inserting custom data into the PDF
In addition to the applicant’s signature, you can insert data from Fountain Custom and Standard Data Keys, similar to our SMS and email message templates.
The format for the keys is:
Replace KEYNAME with the name of the Custom or Standard Data Key.
The key must be inserted as the name of a text input box in the PDF. You can use many different PDF software packages to insert these fields, but we will use the free tool PDFescape to demonstrate the process:
- Go PDFescape.com and upload your PDF file.
- Click on the Form Field button:
- Right click the field and select Object Properties:
- Set the field as Read Only and set the Name as [APPLICANT_DATA_KEYNAME], replacing KEYNAME with the name of your data key:
- Click OK and repeat the process for any other data keys
- Download the file to upload into Fountain:
Fountain will substitute the applicant’s information for each of the keys when they sign the document, if the keys exist on the applicant’s profile.
the [APPLICANT_SIGNATURE] key should not be inserted as a text field: it should be regular text in the document.