When you're building the workflow, it is typically linear and the applicant is required to complete one stage at a time in sequential order. However, a Multi-Stage can be added to create a non-linear experience where applicants can complete the substages in any given order. Only upon completing all substages in the Multi-Stage will the applicant be enabled to move forward to the next stage.
If your hiring process requires the candidate to submit specific documents as well as book an orientation time prior to their background checks, you can add a multi-stage before the background checks stage. In the multi-stage you create, substages can be added for each document required in the data collection stage. The scheduler stage can be utilized for booking the orientation times.
This enables applicants to complete their application without being prevented from moving forward, due to not having the proper documentation available at the time of submission.
- Add the multi-stage into your workflow.
- Click Add Substage within the Stubstages section
We offer Custom, Scheduler, Data Collection, and Document Signing (I9, and W4) stages as substages in a multi-stage. I9 and W4 stages must be enabled on your account in order to select it in the multi-stage.
- Choose to create a new stage from scratch or close an existing stage from your workflow
- Select the substage you want to insert, and name it. The substages will then appear on the top row.
- You can change the order of the substages by dragging and dropping them into a new sequence.
- Click on the pencil icon to edit the substage, and the trash can icon to delete the substage.
- The substages do not have all of the capabilities the stages have. The multi-stage has the majority of the stage settings, such as the Show stage in applicant portal progress tracker toggle, as well as the automatic move rule:
- You can edit the Internal Stage Name or the Applicant-facing Name in a substage by clicking the pencil icon next to the stage and then clicking the edit options at the top. Select Save Changes if you make changes.
- You can customize the stage further by clicking Customize on this popout screen
You must include [Advance_URL] in the instructions body of your custom sub-stage so that customers can exit the substage when they're done.
You can determine which documents applicants receive based on preset criteria or by adding conditions under the Add Document Set section.
The applicant can also schedule a session with you on a multi-stage via the scheduler substage. To set your availability, select the Set Availability button. If you haven’t set any availability, you may be prompted to add time slots.
More information about setting availability and the scheduler stage here.
In the screenshot above, there is a toggle to allow applicants to move forward as soon as they have picked a time slot. If this is toggled on, the applicant can leave the multi-stage and proceed with the workflow even if the session hasn't happened yet.
In the Advanced Booking Options, you can customize the restrictions applicants have when scheduling sessions.
When entering a multi-stage, the applicant will see the various sub-stages on the home page, as well as on the left column.
The applicant will be able to click on any sub-stage on the left column to navigate to it, or they can click Start via the home page.
For applicants on mobile devices, they can use the breadcrumb feature at the top of the page to navigate back to the start of the multi-stage and hop between stages.