W-4 is a tax form for US Employees. There are two types of forms: W-4 Federal and W-4 State form. Depending on the state regulations, employees might need to fill out both W-4 Federal and State forms. With a seamless native in-app experience, the W-4 forms help Enterprise companies to onboard their employees with ease. Both W-4 Federal and State forms are supported within Fountain workflows.
W-4 Form Basics
The W-4 forms functions as tax withholding information collection, meant to be filled out by both employee and employer.
The W-4 Forms have three main sections:
- Step 1: Employee must fill this out on or before their start date. This section will be revealed and completed by the applicant and user.
- Step 2: Employer fills this out. This section must be completed within the first few business days of hire. This section will only be visible to the user and not the applicant.
- Step 3: Reserved for rehires or if an employee's tax documents needs updating.
1099 contractors do not need to fill out this form -- only employees do.
Add W-4 Form Stage
- Add a stage to your Opening's workflow and select W-4 Federal Form for Federal form or W-4 State Form for the W-4 State specific forms under Stage Type. We recommend that the W-4 form stage is placed after the approval stage, or when the applicant has accepted their offer to your position. This way, the applicant will not automatically progress to this stage.
- Configure the W-4 stage settings by checking the box next to the setting to enable.
Automatically Move Applicant to Next Stage
Checking this box will enable the automatic move rule of applicants to the next stage when the applicant completes their portion of the W-4. We recommend that you turn this setting on to keep the applicant moving through your workflow instead of waiting for the employer to complete their half of the W-4. If you want the applicant to move to the next stage in the workflow after they complete the W-4 form, check that box under the W-4 form category.Employer InformationYou can pre-fill out some of the employer information for Section 2 of what the employer will need to complete after the applicant finished their part. This will still be editable when the user/employer signs their portion but is a great way to speed things up.
Complete Employer Portion
Once an applicant has completed their portion of the W-4 form, there are a couple of ways user/employer can complete Section 2 of the W-4 form.
- From the link in the email notification - by default sent to Opening Owner when applicant completes their portion of the W-4.
- From the Applicant Profile within Fountain
When an applicant has completed their portion of the W-4, a new status label call W-4 Fed: Required Action: Employer will appear on their status on the Applicant Table.
Within the Applicant Table, you'll see a button to Complete Form: Employer.
This will take you to a new page to complete Section 2: Employer portion of the W-4 form.
Click on the View Form to see the generated officially W-4 Form in PDF. We recommend using Adobe PDF Viewer for best results when downloading and printing W-4 forms. You may encounter issues with certain fields missing or blacked out when using other clients.
If there was an error on the applicant's portion, you can request for the applicant to redo by clicking on the Applicant Redo button. Draft the email or pick from the message template and hit Send Email. To add a message template for this use, make sure to pick W-4 Form Redo as the message type.
The status bar would be updated to W-4 Fed: Pending Applicant Completion