The Document Signing stage is a stage type you can add to your hiring workflow that enables applicants to sign documents such as agreements, contracts, W-9 tax forms, etc. You can insert Merge Keys to pre-fill the form with the applicant's unique data, which can
Our document signing solution providers are secure and compliant with all major eSignature laws, including ESIGN, UETA, European Union eIDAS (EU No.910/2014). Additionally, all access is over HTTPS and all documents are encrypted at rest.
Create Document Signing Templates
Before you can add a Document Signing stage in the workflow, you will need to set up the document as a template by uploading the document file(s) and adding form fields and signature areas.
If you have several documents for applicants to sign, we recommend setting them up as separate templates as opposed to combining multiple documents into one long document. Applicants get overwhelmed by long documents, which can cause higher drop-off rates. Separating your documents also allows the applicant to complete some of your paperwork, even if they don't have the necessary information to finish all of the forms.
Follow the steps below to create a document signing template:
- Click on your initials icon in the top right corner of any Fountain page.
- Click Company Settings in the dropdown.
- Click on Document Signing in the menu on the left under Add-ons.
- Click on the Templates tab.
- Click Create Template.
- Upload the document you need to add electronic signatures to into the file box by dragging and dropping or by clicking on the box to upload.
Note: You can upload multiple files of different file types (PDF, JPEG, PNG, Docx) and Fountain will combine them all into one long document for the applicant to complete. Images of different dimensions and sizes may be compressed or stretched to fit standard letter size, so please preview and try to use the 8.5 x 11 dimensions. File size for this upload must be smaller than 15 MB.
- By default, the applicant is always required to sign the document. If additional internal signers are needed, click + Add Role and name the role such as "Manager". You will be able to assign an internal user to this role later in the stage setup.
- If there is information you would like to automatically populate into fields in the template via Merge Keys, select the desired applicant data from the Merge Keys dropdown. You can add any Custom Merge Keys that were created as part of a Data Collection stage. You can also select any Standard Merge Keys such as Applicant Name, Address, or Phone Number. You must add all relevant Merge Keys during this step. You will not be able to add additional Merge Keys once you begin to create the template. NOTE: Merge Keys are available as a default option with HelloSign. The Merge Keys feature is available in DocuSign only with their Business Pro plan.
- Type a Title for the Template, and type a message or brief description. This is what the applicant will see when they land in the stage.
- Click Prepare Template.
- In the new window, click on the form field type you want to add on the top, and then click the document in the location you want the field to be placed. You can also drag and drop the fields into your document. To resize the field box, drag on the lower right corner of the newly added field.
- Click Continue to save the template.
The following example displays how to add Merge Keys to your template in HelloSign.
The following example displays how to add Merge Keys to your template in DocuSign.
Form Field Settings in HelloSign
When using HelloSign, you can choose who completes each form field. After you have added a field to your document, click on the drop-down under Signers and select one of the following:
Adding the Template to the Stage
Once the document signing template is created, you can add the Document Signing stage to the workflow via the Workflow Editor and connect the template to that stage.
- Click Add Stage then click Create New Stage. Select the Document Signing Stage option in the dropdown.
- Within the Default Documents section, click Add Document.
- In the opened window, select the document you would like to use and click Add Document.
- Click Save Changes in the top right corner.
Adding an Internal (Fountain User) Signer
To add an internal signer, first, ensure you add the additional signer when setting up the template. This would be the additional role such as "Manager".
Once the template is uploaded in the Document Signing stage, you will receive a pop-up asking you to assign the Additional Signer role to a user on the account. Select the user in the dropdown and click Update Document. You can only assign one user to a document.
The internal signer will be prompted to sign via Status Label once the applicant signs their portion of the document.