The I-9 form is used to verify an individual's identity as well as verify that they can be legally employed in the United States. With Fountain's I-9 stage, the applicant and the employer each fill out the form (in a simplified view) within the Fountain workflow. An official I-9 form is generated and can be sent to the government system to be verified.
I-9 Form Basics
The I-9 form functions as employment authorization, meant to be filled out by both employee and employer.
The I-9 Form has three main sections:
- Step 1: Employee must fill this out on or before their start date. This section will be revealed and completed by the applicant and user.
- Step 2: Employer fills this out and must physically (in-person) confirm the identity documents from the employee. This section must be completed within 3 business days of hire. This section will only be visible to the user and not the applicant.
- Step 3: Reserved for rehires or if an employee's identity documents expire.
1099 contractors do not need to fill out this form, only employees do.
Add I-9 Form Stage
- Add a stage to your Opening's workflow and select I-9 Form under Stage Type. We recommend that the I-9 Form stage is placed after the approval stage, or when the applicant has accepted their offer to your position. By doing this, the applicant will not automatically progress to this stage.
- Configure the I-9 Form stage settings by checking the box next to the setting to enable.
Automatically Move Applicant to Next Stage
If you want the applicant to move to the next stage in the workflow after they complete the I-9 Form, check that box under the I-9 Form category. Checking this box will enable the automatic move rule of applicants to the next stage when the applicant completes their portion of the I-9. We recommend that you turn this setting on to keep the applicant moving through your workflow instead of waiting for the employer to complete their half of the I-9.Applicant to confirm SSNChecking the box Get SSN Confirmation from applicant will require applicants to confirm their SSN by filling it in twice in the form. If they fail to enter the SSN exactly the same, this will prevent the applicant from submitting the form.Email Notification Upon Completion
Check this box if a user wants to be notified via email when both parties complete the I-9. To configure the user, see the article on User Management.Employer Information
You can pre-fill out some of the employer information for Section 2 of what the employer will need to complete after the applicant has finished their portion. This will still be editable when the user/employer signs their portion but is a great way to speed up the process.
Complete Employer Portion
Once an applicant has completed their portion of the I-9 Form, there are a few ways a user/employer can complete Section 2 of the I-9 Form.
- From the link in the email notification - by default sent to Opening Owner when applicant completes their portion of the I-9.
- From the Applicant Profile within Fountain
When an applicant has completed their portion of the I-9, a new status label called I9: Pending Action will appear on their status on the Applicant Table.
Within the Applicant Table or Applicant Profile, click I9 Form: Pending Action and then, Complete Form.
This will take you to a new page to complete Section 2: Employer portion of the I-9 Form.
Click on View Form to see the generated officially I-9 Form in PDF. We recommend using Adobe PDF Viewer for best results when downloading and printing I-9 Forms. You may encounter issues with certain fields missing or blacked out when using other clients.
If there was an error on the applicant's portion, you can request for the applicant to redo by clicking on the Applicant Re-do button. Draft the email or pick from the message template and hit Send Email. To add a message template for this use, make sure to pick "I-9 Form Redo" as the message type.
The status bar would be updated to I-9: In Progress
Download Data Exports
- Select Company Settings.
- Scroll down to the Account Info section, and select Exports.
- Choose New Export.
- Enter the Title, select the source you want to Pull Applicants From, and the Fields to Export.
- Select Save.
- Choose the Title you created or edited and select Download.
- Choose CSV File.
The Fields you exported will be downloaded.
Prevent Excel from Incorrectly Altering your Data
When performing CSV exports in the product, Excel, Google Sheets, or other software programs may automatically convert the data provided to dates and/or numbers. This can potentially cause numbers that begin with 0 to be updated. For example, if a routing number is listed as 000234123, Excel may translate that number as 234123.
If there are values in your CSV that fit this criteria and may not be translated correctly, visit this resource for steps on preventing Excel from automatically altering your data.